Friday, December 2, 2011

The Love that Rescues Me

As we prepare to head to Bonaire for our first exploration of the sea . . . I have three random influences bouncing around in my mind.  The first is from a marine biologist, the second a fellow diver, and the third an Australian musician.

In this months copy of Outside magazine there is a fascinating interview between writer Michael Roberts and marine biologist Wallace J. Nichols.  Nichols believes that being in the ocean changes us for the better.  "If I walk in and say 'This is my friend the Stanford neuroscientist, and his research using brain scans shows that sitting by the ocean has the same calming effect as meditation on reducing stress' -suddenly the coast becomes a public health issue."  Simply stated, even science is exploring the power in the water.

I have also been reflecting on a statement I came across from a fellow diver.  "God lives in the ocean.  When I dive I go to see him.  I wish I could stay longer."  While the theology is poor, the expression creates a curiosity in me.  What will it be like to explore the deeps of coral and sea life and a system so few really understand?  Will the book of Jonah take on a new meaning?  Will the crossing of the Red Sea or the disciples going to fish after the resurrection take on new meaning?  I guess we will find out in the next few days.

Finally, I've been listening to one particular song throughout this journey of Sabbatical.  It is a song by Australian singer Michelle Tumes.  The title is Healing Waters.  The lyrics are as follows:


I've built a bridge, All of my strength cannot cross over 
I stand at the edge, The end of a road that I have followed 
Sinking from the weight of my own world, Wanting the waves of Your ways to wash my feet


Healing waters . . . Healing waters 
Solace flows, Through the river of forgiveness to my soul 
Oh, I need You . . . Healing waters


Pour over me, Water to clean all my intentions 
Baptising streams, I swim in the freedom of redemption 
Floating on the sea of purity, Knowing I can dive in the love that rescues me


Memories are raging high, Floods so deep they touch the sky 
All the things I've done to You, All the parts of life untrue 
Healing comes from outstretched hands, Saving me from what I am 


Carry me . . . Carry me.

I love the line "Knowing I can dive in the love that rescues me."  As we leave for Bonaire today, may our experience be the height and depth and width and length of God's love.  May it be your experience as well.

2 comments:

  1. Have a FABULOUS time! We pray for you daily! Looking forward to hearing about your experience.
    Love from the Willemsteins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying you enjoy your time with Kendra at the 'edge of the ocean'!!
    ~Sue

    ReplyDelete