Friday, August 19, 2011

Preparation . . .

Even though our Sabbatical doesn't officially begin until November . . . we already find ourselves taking some important first steps.  Certification, as in Scuba certification.  We had no idea how demanding this would be.

First, you are required to read through an entire book on scuba diving, watch a video, and then take a test on each chapter.  The requirement for passing is simply getting everything right.  I guess, when you are breathing underwater at 80 feet below the surface, it's important to know how everything works.  Who knew?

Next, we had to sit in a classroom for three hours going over all the ins and outs of scuba equipment, preparation for a dive, oxygen and nitrogen levels in the blood and how they change in different pressure levels, and then we had to take an exam.  The standard for passing is 80%.  We all passed with flying colors.

I'm amazed at the knowledge and insight of our instructor Rob Stam.  He's been helpful with all of us, but especially with Kiley and Mark.  In fact, the entire Ocean Sands Scuba crew has been awesome.  They know the importance of safe diving and are diligent in making sure we understand as well.  Someone told me that if you get certified through Ocean Sands you can get certified any where in the world.  Based on what we've experienced so far, I believe them.  It also gives me great comfort to know we are being trained by the best.

We have almost 10 hours invested and we haven't even been in the water!  It makes me wonder.

I wonder about preparation.  How well did I prepare for being married or for being a parent?  How well do I currently prepare to begin each day or to prepare myself for worship on a Sunday morning?  How often do I find myself learning in preparation from the One who knows how it all works?  How well do most of us prepare ourselves for anything?

A mentor from my past used to say "It's time to grab the lunch pail and head down to the factory floor and put in the hard work . . . of getting ready."  Even though it's still months away, I want to be ready for Sabbatical.  I want to be ready as a Church.  I want to be ready as a family.  Along with the Sabbatical Committee, we are committed to grab the lunch pail and hit the floor to get ready.

But it's more than that.  Sure, I want to be ready for Sabbatical . . . but more importantly, I want to be ready for every day as a follower of Jesus.  As a follower of Jesus who is a husband, a father, a pastor, a family member, a friend.

One of my favorite worship songs as a teenager was "Sanctuary."  Do you know this song?  If you do, sing it with me . . . "Lord, prepare me, to be a sanctuary, pure and holy, tried and true, with thanksgiving, I'll be a living, sanctuary for You."  Over the next few months, I want to sing that song a lot.  I want to sing it . . . to hum it . . . to pray it . . . to whisper it . . . to shout it.  Lord, prepare me.  Lord, prepare us.

It's an important first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment